Schweppes Classic Catches

Yes, I am a product of the 80's. My summers were filled with endless hours of cricket, thanks to my Dad. Allan Border, Merv Hughes, David Boon, Steve Waugh, Simon O'Donnell and Dean Jones were basically part of our family. "Come on Aussie, Come on, Come on" blared from our boxy, oversized television, and life was pretty simple.

My brother and I were not so concerned with who won, or who got how many runs / wickets, we would hang by the television, waiting for one thing. The Schweppes Classic Catches. Team loyalties, and dislike of individuals faded away where the Schweppes classic catches were concerned. The most impressive were applauded,  loudly congratulated, and in our very own backyard, emulated.

Even this week, as I (now a fully grown woman, and mother of two) prepared a meal in the kitchen, I dropped a piece of expensive meat. As it hurtled to the ground, I twisted my body, stretched out my hand.... and.......and..... got him! I saved the precious beef from the well worn tiles of my kitchen floor!! So impressed with myself, I declared, almost subconsciously and in my best 12th Man voice, "...and THAT is another Schweppes Classic Catch..."

A google search of Schweppes Classic Catch brings a superabundance of amateur cricket blogs and sites, with the term being used to describe remarkable catching achievements, from back yards to baggy greens. Despite name changes to Cadbury-Schweppes Classic Catches, and most recently KFC Classic Catches, it would appear that all marvellous catches will forever bear the title of being a "Schweppes Classic Catch".

So how is it, that a relatively straight forward sponsorship deal, can become so entrenched in the vernacular of an entire generation? There was no marketing trickery, no subliminal messages, no semi-naked promo girls, no catchy jingle, no multi-million dollar celebrity endorsement deals, it just was. It is unlikely that this advertising feat will be replicated in the future. Consumers have a number of alternatives when it comes to accessing sport, no longer required to sit for hours in front of a TV, or listen on the radio (I was going to use the term 'wireless', but that has taken on new meaning with advances in technology.) From their smartphones, they can check facebook, twitter, fan sites and news sites to obtain up to the minute events, highlights and results. As such, It is somewhat surprising that the current sponsor of classic catches, KFC, has not chosen to utilise the internet and social media to perpetuate the popularity of classic catches. In fact, a facebook search of "KFC Classic Catches" brings up one group, a group of three people. Even the group "Doing classic catches" has 21 members! (Well...22 after my marvellous catch yesterday) :)

Perhaps it is time for KFC to consider a 'gooder' strategy for harnessing the brand identification of a powerful, but otherwise wasted, sponsorship opportunity...

Comments

Popular Posts